Sunday 6 January 2013

Character Research: Task 2

Film: 9
 The film '9' takes place in a post-apocalyptic world governed by as sadistic artificial intelligence and it's robot slaves. The main character and his companions are small robotic people that are sewn together out of cloth. Whilst they traverse the world in an effort to complete their goal, they come across the robotic monstrosities that have been created by the antagonist to stop and kill the protagonist. These robots have been compiled out of spare parts that the antagonist has collected in it's lair. I find the structure and detail of these monsters highly interesting as they are all created from parts of common houshold objects that have no relation to eachother, and yet when you view them in the final form, they look as though they belong together.

 Animation: Robot Stop Frame Animation
 I stumbled upon this animation a few months after it was uploaded onto youtube. I have found it quite difficult to find an animation related to the theme 'recycled' and I am quite sceptical about the one that I have chosen. The animator created the robot character out of wires found in a computer. This is the only way I can fit the theme of recycling into the animation, the fact that the animator has created a character from different parts of a computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXW-5Tmcxs

Artist Work: Cyber Fairy
I found this sculpture posted on deviant art. The link between recycled objects and fmiliar forms is quite obvious, but it is also quite striking. I have the same feelings about this piece as I did about the robotic monsters in '9'. Everything seems to work together even though we would not ever relate the objects to eachother in our minds.


















No comments:

Post a Comment